Shadow Alley Press is currently CLOSED to submissions in the following genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Grimdark, Contemporary, and Urban), and select horror titles. At this time, we are not interested in PNR (paranormal romance) or more traditional romance.
We are seeking talented authors capable of telling exciting, gripping, well-paced stories. We are also looking for authors who are willing to work hard, promote their work, and build a community of fans and readers. We’re currently seeking novels—please no novellas or short stories at this time—and are especially interested in multi-book series. If you’re an author and you already have several books in a series written, we would like to hear from you. We are open to authors from all backgrounds and experience levels: agented, unagented, published, unpublished.
- Between 60,000 and 125,000 words. Some word-count exceptions are made for High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, and Grimdark.
- Believable, flawed, well-rounded characters. Please no “Mary/Gary-Sues.”
- An original premise, but one that still falls within genre expectations.
- Developed author voice and style.
- Excellent world-building, which doesn’t detract from the story. Story is King.
- An edited and professional manuscript, mostly devoid of typos and grammatical issues (though professional editing isn’t required)
- Electronic submissions only.
- In the subject line please include the following: Submission, Title, Author name. For example, if your name is John Doe and your title is Lord of the Rings, the subject line should read as follows: Submission, Lord of the Rings, John Doe
- In your email, please include the following material:
- In the email body, send a single page query letter (see here for information on writing a proper query letter) describing your novel. Include genre, word count, comparison titles, and brief bio with publishing history. Include contact info and if the manuscript is agented.
- Additionally, please send a completed manuscript and a full synopsis (not to exceed two pages, double-spaced—see here for information on writing a proper synopsis) as two separate attachments.
- Your attached documents should be formatted as follows:
- Times New Romans; 12 pt font; double-spaced; with paragraphs indented at .5 inches; and page numbers in the top, right-hand corner.
- All documents should be saved as .doc or .docx files.
- Author name and book title should be listed on the first page of both your manuscript and synopsis.
- Documents should be saved and titled as follows: Title_Lastname_Manuscript; Title_Lastname_Synopsis
- Send all materials to our Acquiring Editor at email@example.com